LAST_UPDATEMon, 25 Jun 2018 11pm

30-Year-Old Mother Shot, Killed By Police; Family Demands Answers

A 30-year-old woman is dead after suffering a gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen. The incident took place at 6800 62nd Street near Magnuson Park in Seattle Sunday morning.

The victim's family is now demanding answers.

At the scene, the raw emotion of a family receiving terrible news was on full display.

"My cousin called to tell me it's my sister," Monika Williams cried out in anguish.

Williams said her sister, Charleena Lyles suffered from mental health issues, but insisted she was not a threat.

"What is she going do to all you police?," Williams demanded. "You big ass men? I can take her down, I know you can."

Seattle police said they got a burglary call from Lyles.They sent two officers because they knew Lyles and were concerned for the officers' safety. They arrived at Brettler Family Place 3 and went up to the fourth floor. They said Lyles confronted them with a knife.

"Both officers had to fire their service weapons, striking the individual," Seattle Police Detective Mark Jamieson said. "Unfortunately, it is a fatality."

One neighbor said he was woken by the sound of gunfire.

"A couple of the shots, yeah," Anthony, who would give only his first name, said. "Just rolled over on the bed, you know -- had [to] duck to make sure, if something did come through, it didn't get me."

Police said several children were in Lyles' apartment when she was shot.

"There's no reason for her to be shot in front of her babies," Williams said.

Lyles had an extensive criminal record. She was arrested June 5 for harassment and obstructing a police officer. She was released from the King County Jail just June 14. Her family said she didn't belong there, but no one would listen.

"She has mental health issues that nobody's trying to f**king address," Williams insisted.

Her family also said she found out she was three months pregnant while in jail.

A story in the Federal Way Mirror featured Lyles in 2008. She had gotten a job through a program for at-risk youth. The story said Lyles had been receiving welfare when she entered the THRIVE program and was later placed at the Poverty Bay Coffee Company in Federal Way where she was permanently employed and no longer received welfare.

The officers who shot her are on paid leave, as is in standard procedure. Seattle Mayor Ed Murray is promising a full investigation.

Earlier today, Seattle police verified the incident was an officer-involved shooting in a tweet sent at 10:48 a.m.:

Medics performed CPR on the woman for 10 minutes, and no officers were injured.

At 11:27 a.m. Seattle police confirmed the female suspect is deceased:

Police confirmed the shooting occurred at Brettler Family Place, a community made up of 52 "families coming out of emergency and transitional shelters."