Fri02232018

LAST_UPDATEFri, 23 Feb 2018 10am

GE14 : Opposition Split, Increase In Malay Votes Will Benefit BN - MPN

GE14 : Opposition Split, Increase In Malay Votes Will Benefit BN - MPN

KUALA LUMPUR -- A ro...

JKKK Important Entity In Drawing People's Involvement To Develop Rural Areas - Musa

JKKK Important Entity In Drawing People's Involvement To Develop Rural Areas - Musa

KENINGAU -- The Vill...

No Raid On Selangor Menteri Besar's Office - MACC Chief Commissioner

No Raid On Selangor Menteri Besar's Office - MACC Chief Commissioner

KUALA LUMPUR -- No...

Langkawi Taxi Operators Advised To Form Partnerships With E-Hailing Companies

Langkawi Taxi Operators Advised To Form Partnerships With E-Hailing Companies

LANGKAWI -- Taxi o...

Special Incentive For Bumiputera Padi Wholesalers To Be Announced Soon

Special Incentive For Bumiputera Padi Wholesalers To Be Announced Soon

PUTRAJAYA -- Bumip...

Dutch Parliament Recognizes 1915 Armenian Massacre As Genocide

Dutch Parliament Recognizes 1915 Armenian Massacre As Genocide

THE HAGUE: The Dutch...

'France First', Far Right's Marechal-Le Pen Says In Comeback Speech

'France First', Far Right's Marechal-Le Pen Says In Comeback Speech

WASHINGTON: France s...

Five Feared Dead, Dozens Buried In Indonesian Landslide

Five Feared Dead, Dozens Buried In Indonesian Landslide

An avalanche of mu...

Hundreds Of Teachers Sign Up For Free Gun Training In Ohio

Hundreds Of Teachers Sign Up For Free Gun Training In Ohio

An Ohio Sheriff is...

Sheriff’s Deputy Resigns To Avoid Suspension After Failing To Engage Florida School Gunman

Sheriff’s Deputy Resigns To Avoid Suspension After Failing To Engage Florida School Gunman

The sheriff’s depu...

Uber Will Aggressively Invest In Southeast Asia, Won't Let SoftBank Rule It: CEO

Uber Will Aggressively Invest In Southeast Asia, Won't Let SoftBank Rule It: CEO

NEW DELHI: Uber Tech...

Tender For ECRL Works To Open In April

Tender For ECRL Works To Open In April

BENTONG: At least&nb...

BNM International Reserves At US$103.6b As At Feb 15

BNM International Reserves At US$103.6b As At Feb 15

KUALA LUMPUR: Bank...

Petronas' Subsidiary Secures LNG Contract To India

Petronas' Subsidiary Secures LNG Contract To India

KUALA LUMPUR: Petr...

Asian Stocks Slip As U.S. Rate Risk Sours Sentiment, Dollar Holds Gains

Asian Stocks Slip As U.S. Rate Risk Sours Sentiment, Dollar Holds Gains

SYDNEY: Most Asian...

Science Says: European Art Scene Began With Neanderthals

Science Says: European Art Scene Began With Neanderthals

NEW YORK: From the m...

World's Last Remaining Wild Horses Aren't Really Wild After All

World's Last Remaining Wild Horses Aren't Really Wild After All

WASHINGTON: It may c...

[WITH PICS] Mind-Blowing! These Beautiful Drawings Were Actually Created By An ADHD Teen

[WITH PICS] Mind-Blowing! These Beautiful Drawings Were Actually Created By An ADHD Teen

Despite living in ...

[Video] Don’t Mess With These Nuns Who Are Armed With Faith And Boxing Gloves

[Video] Don’t Mess With These Nuns Who Are Armed With Faith And Boxing Gloves

Christian nuns are...

Meals Made By ‘Ultraman’ Chef Becomes A Local Hit Among Kuala Terengganu Foodies

Meals Made By ‘Ultraman’ Chef Becomes A Local Hit Among Kuala Terengganu Foodies

An eatery in Jalan...

GEORGE TOWN: The Penang government has confirmed that the Penang Bridge International Marathon (PIBM) 2013 will be held on the first bridge instead of the second Penang Bridge.

 

State Tourism Development Committee chairman Law Heng Kiang said that the change of the location was due to the safety of the participants.

He said the state government has no other choice but to use the first bridge for the event as there were no report so far by any relevant authorities on the collapse of the second bridge's ramp last month.

"The safety of the participants must come first," he told a press conference today.

On June 6, the collapsed ramp had resulted in the death of a former policeman, Tajuddin Zainal Abidin,45, who was crushed to death in the incident in Batu Maung.

Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng had also in a press statement on Monday stated the state government will not authorise the annual marathon event slated on November to be held on the second bridge until the stop work order at the bridge was lifted.

Law also said the organiser will stick to its usual route as the past years as the second bridge is yet to be completed.

Meanwhile, he pointed out about 40,000 participants from 71 countries have signed up for the marathon event so far, adding the aim was to reach a target of 50,000 participants.

Law added that registrations are still open for all categories but he cautioned that spaces were limited.

 

 

 

- Edmund Lee/ theSun

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/765293