Thu01182018

LAST_UPDATEWed, 17 Jan 2018 11pm

Singapore Ends SAR Op As Bodies Of M'sians Recovered

SINGAPORE -- The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) ceased the search and rescue (SAR) operation to locate two missing Malaysians at 3pm today as their bodies have been recovered.

MPA, the SAR mission coordinator, said it was informed by the Indonesian authorities about 5pm on Dec 12 that the latter had recovered a body at Pengudang beach, Bintan Island, Indonesia.  

At about 2.30pm today, the Indonesian authorities notified the MPA that they had found another body in the sea north of Bintan Island, it said.

The two bodies were subsequently identified by family members to be that of Chang Chong Kuok and Tan Soon Heng, the two missing Malaysians.

The SAR effort, which also involved Malaysian and Indonesian authorities, was coordinated by Singapore. 

“On behalf of all agencies involved in this search and rescue operation, MPA expresses our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the deceased," said its chief executive, Andrew Tan in a statement here.

The MPA would also like to record its appreciation to all ships and aircraft which participated in the SAR operation, said Tan.

Both men had been missing after their sampan capsized on Sunday, 0.8 nautical miles southeast of Pedra Branca (latitude 01˚ 19.25’N and longitude 104˚ 24.97’E) within the Singapore Maritime Search and Rescue Region

-- BERNAMA