Wed11222017

LAST_UPDATEWed, 22 Nov 2017 9am

People Advised Not To Believe Fake News On Floods

KOTA BHARU, Nov 9 – People are urged not to believe any news reports or information on the floods disseminated on social sites without confirmation from the responsible agencies.

Kelantan Disaster Management and Relief Committee (JPBN) chairman Datuk Mohd Faudzi Che Mamat said unwarranted information that is transmitted using the platform could trigger panic and cause anxiety among the people.

"Do not easily believe whatever is being disseminated. We admit this is the rainy season, but so far nothing out of the ordinary has occurred.

“We are expecting high tides, and hopefully it will not be accompanied by rain," he told reporters, here today.

He said this in a press conference at the conferment of the Kelantan State Honours List For 2017 and the 48th birthday celebration of the Sultan of Kelantan Sultan Muhammad V at the Sultan’s Office at Istana Balai Besar here today.

Mohd Faudzi, who is also Kelantan state secretary, said at the same time the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) had to monitor any transmission of false news that could cause concern to the public.

"So far we have not received any reports on the matter, but I hope the MCMC can further monitor to ensure that such news can be contained and controlled indirectly," he said.

Commenting on the flood preparedness, Mohd Faudzi said all the relevant parties, including volunteers were currently on standby, with all food supplies being sent to all the forward bases in the state.

He also advised residents living in low-lying and flood-prone areas to make early preparations including keeping important documents in safe places as well as ensuring the storage of clean water supply and adequate food.

-- BERNAMA