- Published on Sunday, 22 December 2013 11:47
KUALA LUMPUR: News weekly The Heat was suspended due to an alleged failure to inform authorities of changes to its ownership as well as a departure from a business magazine format for which it was granted a printing permit, a Home Ministry spokesman said today.
The ministry spokesman also reiterated a previously reported denial that the weekly had been barred from publishing new issues over a report on the prime minister’s expenditure.
“The Heat’s publication permit states that the outlet is required to inform the Home Ministry of any change of ownership. Furthermore, the permit provides for a weekly business magazine.
“However, these provisions were violated. The Home Ministry therefore issued a show cause letter to The Heat’s publisher,” the spokesman said via a statement today.
The official further explained that the suspension was imposed after the weekly allegedly failed to respond to two previous show-cause letters, and will continue to be suspended until it officially replies to the letters.
The Heat was suspended by the Home Ministry on Thursday.
In a three-paragraph statement posted on its website then, the weekly said it had ceased publication in compliance with a suspension order served on it by the ministry.
“The newsweekly will not be published on December 21 as scheduled,” it said, and added that its subscribers will be compensated accordingly.
The tabloid-sized paper that started its run earlier year is published by Petaling Jaya-based HCK Media Group.
Previous media reports alleged that the weekly ran into trouble over a report titled “All eyes on big-spending PM Najib”, published for the week of November 23-29.
But the Home Ministry today expressly denied that the suspension was related to the weekly’s reporting.
“This decision was not linked to The Heat’s recent story regarding the prime minister, and any accusations to the contrary are without merit.”
The Home Ministry had prior to this refused to comment on the suspension or its reasons.