Fri08222014

LAST_UPDATEThu, 21 Aug 2014 11pm

13.21 Million Malaysians Employed In 2013 - Statistics Department

EmploymentKUALA LUMPUR -- The number of Malaysians who were employed in 2013 rose to 13.21 million from 12.72 million the year before, according to the Malaysian Manpower Investigative Report 2013.

Read more: 13.21 Million Malaysians Employed In 2013 - Statistics Department

Police: Planned Militant Attacks Not ISIS But Similar Ideology

terrorismKUALA LUMPUR -- There are no immediate links between the 19 people arrested on suspicion of planning terror attacks on Malaysia's administrative capital, Putrajaya, and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), police said Wednesday.

Read more: Police: Planned Militant Attacks Not ISIS But Similar Ideology

Boy Dies After Being Left In Car For 8 Hours

Pic:NSTPADANG TERAP: A TEACHER in Kuala Nerang was shocked to find the lifeless body of his 4 year-old son, eight hours after accidentally leaving him in his car.

Read more: Boy Dies After Being Left In Car For 8 Hours

Let Khalid Finish Term In Office, Say Ngos

Tan Sri Abdul Khalid IbrahimSHAH ALAM: A group of 12 non-governmental organisations (NGOs) yesterday expressed support for Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim to be maintained as Selangor Menteri Besar even though he lost the majority support of Selangor’s assemblymen.

Read more: Let Khalid Finish Term In Office, Say Ngos

Putrajaya Calls For Moment Of Silence On Friday As Remains Of MH17 Victims Return Home

Malaysia last week declared this Friday as a national day of mourning, as the country expects to receive the first batch of remains of the Malaysian victims aboard the Malaysia Airline Boeing 777-200, which was en-route to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam. — Reuters picPUTRAJAYA— The government has called for a moment of silence on Friday when the remains of 20 passengers on board the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 arrive home.

Read more: Putrajaya Calls For Moment Of Silence On Friday As Remains Of MH17 Victims Return Home

Penang Picks Fine Dining Operator Baba To Run Suffolk House

Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the state government accepted Baba Success's proposal as it has more than 20 years’ experience in managing and operating fine dining restaurants. — Picture by K.E. OoiGEORGE TOWN― Penang has awarded the contract to manage and operate the Suffolk House heritage building to fine dining operator Baba Success Sdn Bhd.

Read more: Penang Picks Fine Dining Operator Baba To Run Suffolk House

RoS Probes PKR For Alleged Misconduct After Khalid’s Expulsion

The RoS probe into PKR’s alleged ‘misconduct’ came less than two weeks after Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim was expelled from the party. — Picture by Yusof Mat Isa KUALA LUMPUR— The Registrar of Societies (RoS) has launched a probe into alleged “misconduct” at the top levels in PKR less than two weeks after Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim was expelled from the party for insubordination, Sivarasa Rasiah, a member of the party’s central committee confirmed today.

Read more: RoS Probes PKR For Alleged Misconduct After Khalid’s Expulsion

Sabah Teen Jumps Off First Floor Of Building In Suicide Bid

Depression and peer pressure from classmates at school caused a 15 year-old student to jump from the first floor of a building in an attempted suicide. — Picture by Azinuddin GhazaliKOTA KINABALU― A 15 year-old student has survived after jumping from the first floor of a building in an attempted suicide believed to be over pressure in school.

Read more: Sabah Teen Jumps Off First Floor Of Building In Suicide Bid

Bersih Rally Chaos Due To Authorities’ Failure, Claims Pak Samad

Datuk A Samad Said dismissed claims that Bersih 2.0 should be blamed for the ensuing chaos, saying the police had the obligation and the capacity to ensure the rally proceeded smoothly, but failed to do so. — Picture by Saw Siow Feng KUALA LUMPUR― Putrajaya is responsible for the violence that erupted at an electoral reform rally organised by Bersih 2.0 in April  2012 as it failed its duty to ensure public order and safety, Datuk A Samad Said told the High Court here today.

Read more: Bersih Rally Chaos Due To Authorities’ Failure, Claims Pak Samad

Court: Khairy’s Appeal To Amend Statement Of Defence Dismissed

On March 7, 2008, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim sued Khairy Jamaluddin for allegedly uttering defamatory words and causing the posting on websites, including Malaysiakini.com of a video clip entitled ‘Anwar and kin no threat’. ― Picture by Choo Choy MayPUTRAJAYA― The Court of Appeal here today dismissed Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin's appeal to amend his statement of defence in the RM100 million defamation suit brought against him by Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Read more: Court: Khairy’s Appeal To Amend Statement Of Defence Dismissed