Mon10232017

LAST_UPDATEFri, 27 Oct 2017 9am

PERTIWI Helps The Homeless Community

Credit Photo: Faisol MustafaCredit Photo: Faisol MustafaKUALA LUMPUR: Many hands make light work is embodied perfectly by the non-governmental organization (NGO) from Pertubuhan Wanita Islam (PERTIWI) yesterday.

 

Pertiwi helps the homeless community around Kuala Lumpur as the rest of the contented city folks goes on with their good life.

Some of the help provided are the Pertiwi Soup Kitchen, used clothes as well as health examinations from Pertiwi Health Services.

About 80 percent of the homeless in the city are Malaysians while the remaining 20 percent are mostly foreigners from Indonesia, Bangladesh and the Philippines.Credit Photo: Faisol MustafaCredit Photo: Faisol Mustafa

The homeless are asked for a valid identification document before going through the health examinations.

To show her support for all that Pertiwi has done, Lembah Pantai Member of Parliament, YB Nurul Izzah Anwar joined the NGO in their latest effort recently.

Nurul Izzah went to the streets, distributing food to the homeless near the Tune Hotel in the city, last night.

Touching on the remarks made by the Federal Territories minister, Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor on the plan to fine RM150.00 the soup kitchens or those who gave alms to beggars, Nurul Izzah opines:

"I feel that Tengku Adnan does not understand the true meaning of charity. There are still a large number of unfortunate and homeless that we can help", she added.

Also present was YB Teresa Kok, a Member of Parliament from DAP.

Credit Photo: Faisol MustafaCredit Photo: Faisol MustafaShe states that the charity work like those carried out last night should be continued to alleviate some of the burden on those hit hard by the rising cost of living.

She hopes that Tengku Adnan would reconsider on the decisions that he made.

Pertiwi organizes their soup kitchens on every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday from 9:30pm to 11:30pm whereby they will move to Kota Raya, their next location. Tuesdays and Thursdays soup kitchens are usually organized by individuals.

Those who need help can visit them on the days and time stated above.

Pertiwi receives their fund through public donations via their official website to run their soup kitchens.

Pertiwi was officially launched by Raja Nong Chik Zainal Abidin in 2011.

 

--mD